Okay, so I was really inspired by a friend from college (Nicole) to start some fun Christmas traditions for our little family. With Madelyn being so young still, I think I have another year to really get the ball rolling but I have begun some preparations. I am excited! Well, I'm most excited about the Christmas books....I LOVE books and I LOVE buying books for Madelyn whenever I am out. I'm not a fan of buying toys all the time and showering her with gifts 12 months of the year but with books, I believe it's fine and actually a really good idea. There's no harm in having too many books. Maybe she'll be reading in another year. right? haha :) I guess that's the teacher in my but I already practice sounds with her whenever I can. (in a simple baby fashion) okay for the traditions...
- Christmas book basket- To do this I need to have 25 Christmas books. Of course they are stored all year but brought out for the month of December and each is wrapped in wrapping paper and sitting in a basket in the living room. Each night before bed, the kiddos will unwrap a book and we'll read it. I think this is great because every book has it's own special meaning. This way they get excited when they get to relive each story year after year! Cool huh? So simple yet so special:) So far I have, I think...5. (not much I know) I just started last night so I'll get there!
- Keepsake ornaments- Most people do this anyway but I want to make sure I don't miss a year ever! My mom used to let us pick out an ornament from Hallmark every Christmas or sometimes I would pick one out for my brother and he would for me. I'm still looking for the perfect one for our family this year. I want it personalized with all our names on it. Lord willing we will only have 2 Christmas' with just the 3 of us:)
- New pajamas on Christmas Eve! First of all, who doesn't absolutely love jammies, especially new ones? I'm also considering getting my neices matching ones so they can wear them on Christmas Eve along with Madelyn. It would be neat to have pictures of them mathing in their jams each year.
- 25 Socks Advent Calendar- This requires 25 little socks, colorful, preferably Christmas decor strung along a string and hung somewhere in sight. Each sock is filled with a little age appropriate treat/gift that gets taken out each day. This is such a cute way to count down the days till Christmas and a great TM (teachable moment) about numbers and counting! Way cool!
- Milk & Cookies for Santa- not this year but next. Mommy loves her some chocolate chip cookies late at night! mmmmm:)
- Christmas music ALLL the time. I have a nice collection of holiday music and it will continue to grow.
- Birthday cake for Jesus- Still trying to decide when we will do this. Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Eve might be better since, I doubt cake will be good for breakfast. Not for me anyway. It's such a simple and fun way to remember the birth of our Saviour while singing Happy Birthday to Him.
- Ski trip- sometime over Christmas break. We already do this but of course for Madelyn, this won't start until she is 3 or 4 but you better believe my girl will be hitting the slopes! I hope she shares the love of skiing like the rest of her family. Oh I can't wait to get her all bundled up and in ski school at boyne:
So there you have it, the Wheeler family Christmas traditions! Any cool ideas you have, send them my way! I'd love to hear them! Hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas season!
5 comments:
We do the birthday cake for Jesus, the ornaments, new pjs and cookies for santa... we did it all last year even though she didn't know... I guess we wanted to get a start on it?
Also, I was just at JoAnn Fabrics and they have Christmas books (The Nutcracker, The Night Before Christmas & The Story Of Christmas (Jesus story) all for 1 buck a piece! You can't beat that! I bought all three... but they're already in maeve's basket of books (not like a special book basket like you were saying- just where we keep her books ya know?)
What great tradition ideas. Russ and I are still trying to incorporate some traditions we used to have growing up plus come up with some of our own. I can't wait for the holidays. Kids make them even more special!
God Bless!
these are such good ideas! we talk about traditions we want to start/keep when we have kids. i'll definitely tuck these away for the future! :)
Thanks for sharing your family's traditions. How cool!
Allison,
I have collected 25 Christmas books to start next year with Carter..I love the idea. Here are some of the traditions we are going to start:
1. Getting new PJ's on Christmas Eve to wear Christmas morning.
2. Candle light service on Christmas Eve and then we always go to Chinese (my parents started this one).
3. Three boxes to open on Christmas morning (the three gifts brought to Jesus).
4.Christmas morning my family comes over in their PJ's, makes cinnamon rolls, and then opens presents.
5. Late lunch with Jason's family at his Grandparents and then we open presents with them.
5. Still thinking of other ideas.
Post a Comment