Beginning a couple of weeks before moving back to Jackson from Charlotte, Madelyn started getting up every 3 hours or so in the night. This was a huge step BACKwards for her and it was exausting to say the least. I was still having to get up for work at 5 am sometimes earlier. She was also still sleeping in her bassinet at our bedside. Yeah yeah I know what some of you may be thinking- "at 5 months?" but yes at 5 months. It was easier for me with nursing her in the middle of the night since it was happening so often. Anyway, I decided once we moved back to Michigan, then it would be time to make the transition into her crib and in her own room. So we did just that and she and I have had no problems with the seperation part. It's been 2 weeks I think. When we first got back, I made a docs. appt with her new pediatrician (Dr. Williams) because she had been being fussy and that was just unlike her. She wasn't even really "fussy-fussy" but since she very rarely ever "fusses" it was out of character for her. She did have an ear infection caused from a cold she had gotten shortly after the move. I also asked the doc. about her sudden need to eat so much through the night. I had figured she was just getting more hungry as she was growing (as I previously posted) Well what I didn't put in the last post was that the doc. wanted me to work on weening her from nursing in the night and eating period because at this age she doesn't actually "need" the food and should be able to make it through the night. (6-8 hours) I put that new information in the back of my mind and continued to wake with her and nurse each time she cried in the night. She always fell back asleep as soon as she got a snack so I had gotten the routine down pretty well.....
This brings me to my random and very sudden decision I made last Monday. I happened to be catching up on her chapter in WHAT THE EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR (great resource) and I came across a Q & A about sudden frequent night feedings/wakings. I read about the "Ferberizing" method and decided I'M IN!! Basically it's a decision to quit night feedings cold turkey but allows you to go into the baby's room to offer some comforting words, rub her back, say "I love you" etc. Robert was in and wondered why I hadn't done this sooner. We put her to bed around 9:30 with a full belly. The next thing I know I am waking up around 3ish to the sound of her crying. I look around and Robert was not in bed. Look who was the first to run into her room and comfort her! haha It is quite a sweet thing. Obviously daddy wasn't doing the trick b/c she wanted momma to come feed her. We ended up just putting her back in her crib and turning off the monitor to let her cry it out. She didn't cry it out- she SCREAMED it out...for almost an hour!! It was awful to hear but I just kept reminding myself that she wasn't really hungry and she will feel much better once she is sleeping through the night too. Luckily with the monitor off we couldn't hear her very well so we were able to try and get back to sleep. It was almost 4 when I heard her bloody murder all out scream die down and turn into a wimpering whine and then....ALL WAS QUIET. It worked! (at least for that night)
Now this post is getting so long so I will quickly come to a close with an update of the next night. I was expecting the screaming session to continue but hoping it would be shorter than the first night. Again, she went to bed at 9:30 and.......
I awoke at 6:30 and she was STILL SLEEPING! She didn't wake up until 8:15 that next morning and I was soooe excited!! I guess we lucked out and had a great transition because she has been doing awesome since! I couple of nights I hear her kind of whining a little bit but it only last maybe 5 minutes and she puts herself back to sleep. She's sleeping 9-10 hours every night now. So for all you moms out there who are dying to get some sleep...try the ferberizing method! It may take a solid 4 nights but be strong and you will soon be sleeping through the night. (of course wait until they are old enough to not require night feedings:) Hope you find this helpful:)
2 comments:
Hey Allison! I had to do the same thing because she wouldn't sleep in her crib she would only sleep on mommy!! haha...I did it when she was like 3 months old and it worked lovely and she is a great sleeper now.....12 hours a night and doesn't wake once!
Melissa Granger
Yay for Madelyn! We did the ferber method too, and it works great.
Post a Comment