This past Saturday my family experienced a scary situation when we heard that my Grandpa had what is said to be a "mini stroke" at his house. My Grandma took him into the hospital right away to be checked out. His only symptoms were that his left arm "felt different" and he couldn't get out the words he was trying to say. By the time they got to the hospital he felt better and didn't think he needed to be there. Pretty typical of him because he is very active and in good health for his age. The doctors did all their tests etc. on him and found a 65% blockage of his coratid artery. He was given a couple of options but the best would be to go in a clear out the blockage first with surgery. He had this surgery yesterday at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and all went well. THey were able to clear it and he was told he would just be in ICU for about 12 hours of recovery.
Then last night happened....He had another "mini stroke" in the middle of the night, but it wasn't so "mini". He IS OKAY but can't say a whole lot. He is having trouble getting the right words out and can only say a few phrases right now. I feel so bad for him because he is getting so frusterated because he is aware that he isn't saying the right words for what he wants to say. What a terrible feeling that would be to know what you want to say but then when you try, all the wrong words come out and no one can decode the message. The good news is that the doctor said this is a common side effect from the surgery and 99% of all patients do return to normal. The problem with that is they don't know how long it will take, 24 hours, a few days, a week...longer. We've also tried the writing it out and I guess it just confuses him:(
I'm going to visit him this afternoon when Madelyn wakes up from her nap but I am a little nervous to see him this way. I don't really know what to do or say. When I was there on Sunday, he was completely fine and normal so I didn't have any trouble going. I'm just praying for the wisdom of the doctors and patience for my Grandpa. If you could remember my Grandpa in your prayers it would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks!
2 comments:
I'll be praying for your family, especially your grandpa. :)
aww Allison I'm so sorry! :( That is so tough to go through. Your poppy will be in our prayers. Take care girl! Can't wait to see you when we get back!!
Post a Comment