Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Alyssa @ 1 month

What a whirlwind of a Christmas season we had this year. The month leading up to Christmas this year has been one like no other. It's been an exhausting month but full of blessings.
When we first came home from the hospital, Alyssa was nursing every 3 hours or so (normal) but was waking up every couple of hours in the night. Oh my, I have never been so completely tired in my life. I wasn't getting to bed until 2am at night and then getting sleep for an hour-hour and half at a time for a total of maybe 4 hours a night. A girl cannot function on that little of sleep and expect to steer clear of the winter crud and sicknesses lingering everywhere. I felt the aches and pains throughout my body for the first couple of weeks and then came a horrible head cold/cough that contaminated the Miller Christmas party a week before Christmas. Madelyn developed croup and strep and felt miserable also. Thankfully, Alyssa *and Robert) remained healthy and still is. (knock on wood)
This little girl likes to be held ALL THE TIME. I never wanted to be that parent of a child who cannot be content sitting in a bouncy seat or swing some of the day. I realize now that it is not a result of parenting and that some babies just decide for themselves whether they prefer to snuggle with a human. When she is not being held, she is exercising her vocal cords and my oh my does she have some strong lungs. She will scream her cute little head off until someone comes to pick her up. This makes it very difficult for me to get much done during the day. sooooooooo frustrating at times. However, I am trying to treasure this snuggle time with her while it lasts:)
a few things bullet style:
  • weight 10.5-11ish lbs.
  • nurses well- every 2-3 hours
  • sleeps in 4hour stretches at night
  • cannot tolerate caffeine in my diet what-so-ever :( she was screaming for 2-3 hours inconsolably in the evening until I figured this out and cut it out completely.
  • is sensitive to some dairy in my diet, still trying to figure that out but it seems to be cheeses. make her belly hurt and she has lots of cottage cheese like spit-up.
  • smiles inconsistently while awake but I think they are real smiles, not just gas. (so close!)
  • wearing 3 month clothes day after Christmas.

No comments: