Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Almost 6 months and I can't keep up!

Madelyn will oficially be 6 months next Wednesday. I'm beginning to get somewhat frusterated with the whole nursing thing right now. I love that time with her so much and don't want it to end but lately it's just so hard to keep up with Madelyn's needs. For instance, the past 5 or 6 weeks she has been waking in the night pretty much every 3 hours give or take an hour. She isn't waking up to play but just because she is so hungry! I feed her and then she's back to sleep until waking up a couple hours later. Every once in a while she will sleep 4 -5 hour stretches but like I said "every once in a while". Keep in mind, before this all began she was sleeping 7-8 hours every night:) So like any mom would assume, she needs to start solids. Well, so far I have given her rice cereal, pears, bananas, sweet potatoes and currently we are on carrots. I've only started doing this consistently for a little over a week. It was too hard to stay consistent during the move and staying at my parents house for 2 weeks. The problem is that she just isn't very good at eating from a spoon. She has so much energy and flails her arms and ends up knocking the spoon and the food flings all over the place. It's so frusterating and I have to hold both of her hands down to get the spoon in her mouth, only for her to spit it right back out. She sometimes opens her mouth and actually goes "blaaah". I will admit that is pretty darn cute though- haha

Well, it's now an hour and a half later....I heard her wake up in her crib so I got her up and decided to give her morning cereal another shot. (with bananas) I am happy to report that she DID REALLY GOOD!!! I think she probably managed to swallow like 10 bites before calling it quits!!!! Yay!

Back to what I was saying earlier in the post: I have her 6 month appt. coming up next week and I am going to start talking formula with her doc. Not all the time formula but like when I'm away from her or a couple times a day. Nursing is just plain easier if I am around and not busy at the time so I won't cut it out completely, as long as my supply keeps up. So yeah...that's my....plan with nursing....as if ya'll care right? :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey!! First, we will talk about this more in depth tomorrow at lunch, 2nd I just want to commend you for doing such an awesome job with bfeeding her- NOBODY knows how hard that is unless they've done it. And the fact that you've selflessly woken up every 3 hours to feed her, shows how dedicated you are to her well being :) But, with that being said, formula is a fine choice and I really do think that you and Madelyn will feel better once you make the transition. Both of you will sleep easier, making for happier days! :) Good luck with it all- I KNOW how rough it can be!!!!!